Friday, August 7, 2026

Fantastic Friday #1057 - Selfish

Selfish

33 Teach me, Lord, the way of your decrees,
that I may follow it to the end.
34 Give me understanding, so that I may keep your law
and obey it with all my heart.
35 Direct me in the path of your commands,
for there I find delight.
36 Turn my heart toward your statutes
and not toward selfish gain.
37 Turn my eyes away from worthless things;
preserve my life according to your word.
38 Fulfill your promise to your servant,
so that you may be feared.
39 Take away the disgrace I dread,
for your laws are good.
40 How I long for your precepts!
In your righteousness preserve my life. Psalm 119:33-40

Can you think of one way that you were selfish this week? I can think of multiple ways where I only focused on myself. Last week we discussed focusing on others, and to be honest it has been really hard this week, and most weeks I can say that it can be difficult. I wondered why it can be so hard to focus on others, and this scripture really outlines it very well. Do I follow the decrees and the law of the Lord with ALL my heart? Do I turn away from worthless things and focus on myself too much? These questions are something that should be on our mind throughout our day, so that we don't fall into a disgraceful situation. Some people say, oh it is ok to be selfish every once and a while, and if you really think about it, no it isn't ok to only focus on ourselves. God built us for relationships with others, and to live a full life. I really believe we need those others in our life. For someone who can be an introvert at times, this can be hard, but God wants us to long to be with Him and if we follow His example, then it will be a better pathway to righteousness for us all. Keep people in your life, focus on the others that make your life better, and give of yourself to those in need.

Have a great weekend.

Matt

No comments: